Celebrate National Walking Day Everyday!
2020 Home Edition
Get Creative While In Self-Quarantine & Social Distancing!
- Pace the bathroom while you brush your teeth.
- Walk around the kitchen while your coffee brews or your tea steeps.
- If there are two bathrooms in your home, use the one that’s farther away (or even one on a different floor so you have to take the stairs).
- Take a walk at lunch. The fresh air will do you good.
- Add some accountability. Post your goals on social media, or take on a personal challenge on any of your favorite fitness apps to keep yourself accountable to your goals.
- Set an hourly alarm. Many fitness trackers have hourly buzzers to get you up and moving.
- Break it up. Schedule smaller walks throughout the day.
- Make laundry last forever. Fold an item at the dryer, put it away, and return to the dryer. Repeat.
- Take a walk with your favorite podcast.
- Walk in place while on the phone.
- Take a walk with your self-quarantine family or roommates or strut your mutt.
- Check out walking and exercise videos on YouTube.
- Walk your stairs. If you don’t have stairs in your house, try the stair entering your house and walk in place.
- Play with your kids. Hide-and-seek can run up steps alone!
- Do some work around the yard. Mow the lawn, pull weeds, rake leaves, etc.
- Walk in place while watching a show. Or don’t fast forward your DVR or skip ads on the stream. Stand up and walk in place during advertisements.
- When you do have to go out for essentials, park further away. Park your car at the far end of the lot.
- Turn on some music and dance around the kitchen while you cook a meal.
- Set a walking date with a friend and practice social distancing. Each of you walk parallel on each side of the street.
- Reward yourself! While this won’t net you more steps directly, giving yourself an extra treat will help keep you motivated and energetic.
Later this month!
Join Ole Miss Campus Recreation & Oxford-Lafayette County Chamber of Commerce for a Virtual 5K on April 25th!
Run, Walk, or Roll Your Way to a 5K! Wherever you are, however you can. Everyone in the Lafayette/Oxford/University Community is invited to this fun and free event.
We can be fit while practicing social distancing. We are apart, together.
Click here to register: https://raceroster.com/events/2020/31035/virtual-5k